

Standard Chartered Marathon
This year I decided that I would like to run the ten
kilometers of the standard chartered marathon which occurs every year in Kenya.
In previous year I have only run the kids fun run, but this year I decided on
the ten kilometers.
It was my dad who inspired me because he ran the New York
Marathon the previous year. I had to start preparation early, and I started
training in august, every Sunday and Wednesday I would run 8 kilometers. On Wednesday I
would run inside my estate, but on Sundays I would run in Karura forest because
I find it peaceful to run there.
The day finally came on Sunday 30th October 2011. I
woke up very early in the morning and we ended up being just on time, arriving
at the start at 8:00 am. The 10Km was supposed to start at 8:10 am. It was very
thrilling to be there and there were very many people, I think the estimated
number was that ten thousand people ran the marathon. In the begging, after the
start gun went off, I found it very difficult to run because of all the people,
but by the time we were reaching the first “hill”, the crowd had begun to thin
out. Before my dad went to his event, he gave me and my brother good advice, he
told us to run it at our own tempo and not to be too anxious to get started
because on previous years people have gotten trampled at the beginning.
I
found this marathon to be very challenging and it took a lot more stamina and
mental strength than I expected because I thought it would be easy because I
have seen my brother do it time and time again. At around 9 Km I was ready to
give up, but then I saw the 1 Km left sign and I decide to push myself until I
got there and at the finish I felt a lot better about myself, emotionally and
physically. I felt better emotionally because I had overcome a major obstacle
and the fact that I didn’t give up gave me a lot more confidence. Also made me
feel better physically because me body had over come something.
This is a link to the website

No comments:
Post a Comment