Mara marathon
After running the standard chartered marathon, I felt like I
could do anything, so I decided to run the MasaiMara Marathon in November. For
this marathon, they did not have a ten kilometer race, but had I five kilometer
race, so I wasn’t sure I wanted to
participate, but I decided to participate because it was a different terrain
and it would be good practice. For this marathon, I trained a lot more in
Karura forest because the race holders announced that the ground there wasn’t
tarmac, so it would be helpful to run on non-tarmac ground.
At the beginning I used the same techniques I used in the standard chartered Marathon, to run at my own pace. The ground we were running on was very uneven and it was hard to keep my balance I toppled over twice, but in the end I found my tempo and began to run properly. I was really hot and there were no water stations and I think that this was a big motivation for me because I just wanted to reach the end and get some WATER. It was challenging in a different way to the standard chartered marathon because it was a different terrain and it was very hot, unlike in the standard chartered marathon, where it was cool and easy to run. It was also a nice marathon because a person was literally running beside the animals, like in the beginning of my race there were impales grazing beside the track and they all ran away when the race started.
The day of the marathon finally arrived, on the 19th of November. We had spent the whole of Friday driving down to the Mara and setting up camp there. I went to bed pretty early the night before, but I was still tired in the morning when I woke up. We went to the race site and It was already hot, the race was supposed to begin at 10 am, but it was badly organized and it ended up starting at 12, when the sun was at full maximum capacity. That was the one thing I didn’t like about the event was the fact that it was badly organized and in the beginning it was really funny to watch the organizers try to get the start sign to face the right direction and originally when the race started everybody was facing the wrong way and it had to be turned around.
No comments:
Post a Comment