The Mara Trip
I really enjoyed this trip as I got to experience very many
new things such as building. It was fun even though there were very many
challenges such as getting there, we got lost. So one the first day we got to
school and boarded the bus that was going to take us to the Mara. It was a very
long bus ride as we had to go all the way to the Maasai Mara. We took around 8
hours to get there, but when we finally got to the Bomet county line, the
facilitators where there waiting for us with cool safari buses.It took another hour to get the campsite. The best part of the first day was meeting the children who were all so happy to see us and spread positive energy and made me feel less tired. I liked meeting the children because they were all so happy and positive and they had very many questions for me and i found it funny.
![]() |
| me and the some of the girls |
The other best part of the first day were the games we did to get to know each other better, for example I found that name game very helpful because I didn’t know some of the people on my trips names.
Another activity that we did that I really enjoyed was the
zone activity, where there were three zones in which when a question was asked,
you had to stand in the zone that you were most comfortable with. There was the
challenge zone, the panic zone and the comfort zone. This helped me learn new
things about myself that I had not really thought of before. It also helped me
see that I am not the only one with “weird” fears, such as I thought I was the
only one who had a really big fear of the stage, “stage fright” in essence, but
that many other people would also panic if put on the spot.
Over the next few
days we did fun and challenging activities such as the water walk, in which I got
to learn more about the Maasai people and what challenges the face on a daily
basis, like they has to walk over 5 kilometers to fetch water. I learned that
this is a difficult activity as we had to participate in helping the “mamas” to
carry water from the river to their homesteads.
Also another activity that I
enjoyed was going to the market because we got to participate with daily life
again and got to interact with the local people and see what it is like to live
with a tiny budget. This made me appreciate my life more because I have access
to many things and I have never thought about the cost before, like the
everyday food that I eat.
| the Water Walk |
I also liked visiting the hospital and the school because I
made me see the good things that me-to-we and free the children are doing for
the community. They are stopping many preventable deaths from happening and
they are also helping mothers in labor.
us on the building site of the school
I also liked the CAS, the building of the classroom and
laying the foundations was fun. It also helped me learn many new skills, like
cement mixing and how much cement to how much sand is needed. Other skills that
I also learned were brick laying and how to prepare the foundation. Building
the class room also required a lot of team work and was fun, for example when
we had to move the bricks from were the were to the building site, it was
around 200m and we formed a human brick chain where we passed the bricks to
each other until they reached the building site.
On this trip we also got to learn a lot about ourselves and
the environment and the world and I learned that a lot of my perceptions of the
world were wrong. One night we mapped out the world and we placed certain items
to represent number of people and the wealth and the amount of food consumed by
the continents of the world. We did this teams and then we discorvered that
what we thought we knew about the world was wrong, for example we put the Asia
consumes a lot of food, but it turned out that America consumed the most food
in the world. This was also helpful because afterwards we broke into groups and
wrote a whole bunch of problems that they future will hold for us and we each
had to pick one and discuss how we think we could change it and fix it.
| us with the facilitators |
I found this a good trip and the facilitators there were very positive and encouraging and it think this trip made me a better person because it made me more positive and made me appreciate myself more. It also helped me see the many problems the world has and the future challenges that I am going to face. I hope that I can in the future be a part of such good organizations hat are actually making a difference in the world today.
here are the links to

No comments:
Post a Comment